Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Ship Project - Assembly

Photo #1
Here is a photo of the assembled model.  It is largely painted though not completely and it has not been weathered.   There are a lot of learnings coming out of this build that I will apply to the model files and then I will print and paint a final version.  In the meantime, I will practice some weathering techniques on this version.

In the remainder of this post I will detail the changes that need to be made for what I expect will be the final version of the model!
Photo #2

Planned changes for a final version of the model (in no particular order):

  • Hatches and other details should have inset outlines that will accept a pin line of black paint (#3)
  • Railings should look the same (#2)
  • Ladder should fit in cutout (#3)
  • Support pillars for bridge need to be shorter and the whole configuration needs to be rethought for assembly (#4)
  • Structures such as the life raft, forward hatch, and anchor capstans should be printed as stand alone items for ease of painting (#2, #5)
  • Hole in the crane boom is on the wrong side (#6)
  • Photo #3
  • Layering on hull is accentuated by weathering (even at 80 microns). Suggest final print at a low 60 microns, varnish, and then sand.



General observations:

  • All parts should be printed at 60 micron resolution and at very slow speed to hide ridging
  • Parts with flat surfaces should be rotated by 45 degrees so filament lines look more natural (#3)

Photo #4

Photo #5
Photo #6
Photo #7

No comments:

Post a Comment