Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Intersection of 3D Printing and Modeling - Another Diorama

While not at all a finished project the diorama shown below does illustrate the birth of another heavily 3D Printed diorama (here is my first one).  I keep getting distracted by other projects but I will ultimately finish this thing.  In case you are wondering about the shape...it fits a stack of shelves that I printed for my man cave.

Below are the first couple of prints.  On the bottom is the foundation for the diorama with a footprint for a ruined building, a sidewalk of concrete slabs, and a cobble stone street with some shell holes.  At the top are the ruined building, a model who's files I purchased downloaded and printed, and to the right are some initial pieces of bling to decorate the project.

Here I have painted the street and started to landscape the are outside the ruined building.  It is hard to tell from this print but I have another print that has added a layer of ground in the area at the top left of the diorama.  In hind-sight there were a number of things that should have been designed into the initial print above, or out of in the case of much of the time that I put into sidewalk that I then covered!

Most of the heavy duty landscaping is now done.  Note that I am very much a beginning modeler so please humor me in my attempts on this project.  Like the two colors of earth with the darker being older and the lighter being newer...?

In the below two shots we see a traditional model from Battlefront integrated into the diorama.  We can also see, particularly in the shot that looks into the ruined building, some of the bling that I have designed for Flames of War gamers.  The tank is a high resolution print of a model done by M_Bergman and available on Thingiverse along with all of my bling.


Not quite the end by any means but getting close.  My vision is to replace the Panther with a Tiger II and to have figures populating the model.

No comments:

Post a Comment