Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Starting a New Project - Building a 3D Scanner

I have no idea what I will scan but it seems like I should have one anyway.  I am not doing any original work here as everything that I need is in the public domain.   I will be doing a little bit of derivation work but not much.

There is a kickstarter
project out there that gave me the idea:

ATLAS 3D - The 3D Scanner You Print and Build Yourself!

It is based on a Raspberry Pi.  There is also a variant of the same kind of scanner that is based on an Arduino but basing on the RPi lets you scan without occupying a host that would be needed to drive the Arduino version.

In either case I have most of the stuff that I would need to build the scanner.   I have a Raspberry Pi and camera.   I have a stepper motor and a stepper driver.   I have a 3D Printer to generate all the parts!  I have various and sundry bits of electronics and a couple of power supplies.

What I do not have, and will have to buy, are some threaded steel rods (and bolts and washers), a couple of small electronic bits, and a giant bearing for the turn table.

The derivation that I have in mind is to create a circuit board that will ride on the Raspberry Pi as a daughter board.  This will entail some changes to the structure of the scanner to handle this change.

Here is where I am at after a day or two.  Printed parts for the base and found the stepper motor.

Printing the end where the camera and electronics live...that is a big piece of plastic!  BTW, the parts are intentionally not very pretty as I am using a layer height of 0.4mm for speed.

Started to assemble the breadboard to prototype the PCB.

Started to design the PCB.

No comments:

Post a Comment