Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

OMG...another printer????

Have now got a major plastic factory going.  My wife is so very impressed that we have three 3D printers!

Not!

Hey, for most of my life I have had a boat sucking the boat units out of me (boat units being boater speak for the minimum increment of spend when talking about owning a boat...my last boat operated in boat units of $1K). So, with my health ruling out the boat what am I going to spend those boat units on? Technology stuff like 3D printers!

I was very impressed with the quality that I got when moving from my self built, plastic open platform, Prusa I3 to the closed box, steel frame, Wanhao Duplicator 4S.  I could immediately see the improvement in quality and speed.   With tuning it became more and more evident.  When I first got the Duplicator my plan was to sell the Prusa I3 on eBay.  After a while spent with having two printers I decided that I really liked having two printers!

There was a listing on eBay for a used Wanhao Duplicator 4S that caught my eye.   I like the printer.  I had mine pretty well tuned.  It would be efficient to not have to learn another printer.   It was only 400 quid.   Gee, some good reasons.  But I could not get the idea of going one more level up in the food chain out of my mind.   The Ultimaker 2 being that printer.  

There are few people in the world that are better than I am at rationalizing things.  So here was my thinking.  Due to the treatment I received earlier this year for my MS we had decided to cancel our big holiday this summer.  We had planned on a very nice cruise to Iceland and Norway.  Sara is still going to take a break...a high end spa retreat...but what about Will?  The answer is PRINTERS and the budget, compared to the cost of the cruise, could afford the discounted Ultimaker 2!!!

So one night, or morning, around 2AM I pulled the trigger and a couple days later I had another 3D printer!

No comments:

Post a Comment