Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Glass->FR-4->Klapton Tape->Glass

One of the challenges of 3D printing is model adherence to the build platform.   Searching for this topic will return many, many, many results.  Hours into a print and it pops off the platform can result in loud screams.

The only thing that I ever used with my Prusa I3 was glass.  This may or may not have been helped by the fact that I only ever printed with PLA.  In any case, it was glass with either ABS Goop or Hairspray to aid adhesion.

When I got my Duplicator 4S I started to play with ABS and ended up using FR-4 after finding reference to this stuff on the RepRap Forums.   I have written about FR-4 here as I really liked it at the time and for a while.  What I liked about it was how forgiving it was as a surface...you get good adhesion with a pretty wide range of platform leveling.   I also like the fact that as it cools prints just pop off.  What I decided that I did not like about it was that it was not a completely flat surface and that it seemed to be getting less flat with time!   I was using pretty thin FR-4, and there is thicker stock available, but still.

One of the print tasks that had me frustrated with FR-4 was a job that required a high degree of detail on the first layer (lettering done with 0.5mm strokes).  I found that I had difficulty getting this level of precision with the FR-4 so I got out the Klapton tape.  I have written disparagingly about Klapton tape but it wasn't too bad.   I have a roll the size of my platform and was able to get a new surface relatively easily.  Print adherence was great.  Here in lies the rub.   It was too great and Klapton tape is too fragile and putting on new tape is a pain.

So, it was back to glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment