Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Raspberry Configuration

I have been spending a fair amount of time on my Ubuntu development environment and needed to get the Raspberry Pi configured to mirror the laptop: 

Get all the latest updates for packages that are installed as well as package indices: 

sudo apt-get updates
 
Install VNC server so that when I do need a graphical environment it is there for me:

sudo apt-get install tightvncserver
vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x728 -depth 24

Setup VNC to start on boot:

This last command is what starts VNC automatically...
sudo update-rc.d tightvncserver defaults

Start manually
sudo /etc/init.d/tightvncserver start

Install an FTP client and server (note that the FTP server will be installed to start automagically):

sudo apt-get install ftp
sudo apt-get install proftpd

Setup Python with the add-ons that I need for my Robot:

sudo apt-get install python-serial
sudo apt-get install python-opencv
sudo apt-get install python-imaging

Install the Arduino environment (won’t need it often but thought it should be there):

sudo apt-get install arduino
 
Install compass library (I had to copy this from development for latest version as I am not sure where I got it!)

Install beanstalkd (and all of the rest just to get a Python interface library) for inter-process queue management:

apt-get install beanstalkd
PIP (all the rest is to get support for Python)
sudo apt-get install python-pip python-dev build-essential
sudo pip install --upgrade pip
sudo pip install --upgrade virtualenv
sudo apt-get build-dep python-yaml
sudo pip install PyYAML
beanstalkc
sudo pip install beanstalkc

With all of the above done my RPi was acting exactly as my development environment running Ubuntu on an Intel based laptop.   The RPi is, obviously, quite a bit slower but this is still an impressive feat!

No comments:

Post a Comment