Evolution of a Blog

This blog has evolved as I have as a maker. It starts at the beginning of my journey where I began to re-tread my tires in the useful lore of micro electronics and the open-source software that can drive them. While building solutions around micro-electronics are still an occasional topic my more recent focus has been on the 3D Printing side of making.

Monday, August 20, 2012

The Brain - Raspberry Pi - Before Receipt


Even before the RPi was delivered I was getting ready for it!   I downloaded the image for Wheezy which is an optimized version of Debian built for the Raspberry Pi.   This comes down as a disk image so I needed to find a way to get it onto an SD card since that is what the RPi boots and runs from.   I struggled a little trying to get this done on my iMac, which is my primary workstation, but decided to use Win32 Disk Manager on my Windows Laptop.

More importantly I decided to build a Python development environment on Linux running on my laptop as I could get started with some of the software that I will need ahead of having an RPi.   I decided on Ubuntu as it is based on Debian and I figured would be close enough.

The install process was simple, as easy as doing a Windows install, and the end result was pretty impressive.   Being your typical ex-corporate IT executive I had never really considered Linux but I can now see the allure.   For the grand cost of nothing I had an operating system, a development environment (choice of many), productivity software, and access to a nice little store to get more free stuff.

It also came loaded with Python so I could get started with learning both it, and more about Linux, as this is all part of me going back to my roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment